ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 374

Shire of Taringa

The Shire of Taringa is a former local government area of Queensland, Australia, located in western Brisbane. Its administrative centre was Taringa. It existed from 1890 to 1925.

Shire of Toombul

The Nundah Division was one of the original divisions created on 11 November 1879 under the Divisional Boards Act of 1879. The Department was large, ranging from pine rivers in the North to the Brisbane river in the South and from Moreton Bay in ...

Town of Toowong

The Town of Toowong is a former local government area of Queensland, Australia, located in western Brisbane in the area around the current suburb of Toowong.

Town of Windsor

On 11 February 1887, a portion of the Ithaca Division was proclaimed a municipality to be known as the Shire of Windsor. February 10, 1904, the Shire was proclaimed the city of Windsor. On 1 October 1925 the city was amalgamated into the city of ...

Town of Wynnum

The Town of Wynnum is a former local government area of Queensland, Australia, located in eastern Brisbane adjacent to Moreton Bay around the present day suburb of Wynnum.

The Plain Dealer (Kadina)

The Plain Dealer was a weekly Saturday newspaper in Kadina, South Australia, operating from 1894 until 1926 as a smaller competitor to the Kadina and Wallaroo Times.

Electoral district of Abbotsford

Electoral district of Abbotsford was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. Abbotsford was created post-Federation act, the electoral boundaries 1903 comes into force in 1904, when 42 districts were ...

Electoral district of Ballarat East

Ballarat East was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. Prior to its abolition, it was a 3.323 km² part-urban and part-rural electorate covering areas to the east of the regional centre of Ballarat ...

Electoral district of Ballarat West

The Electoral district of Ballarat West was an electoral district of the Victorian Legislative Assembly in Australia. It had two periods of existence, firstly between 1859 and 1927 and from 1992 to 2014. The original location was established for ...

Electoral district of Bendigo East

Bendigo East is an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. It covers an area of 2.711 square kilometres covering the part of the city of Bendigo east of the Yungera railway line and surrounding rural ar ...

Electoral district of Bendigo West

Bendigo West is an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. It is a 1.524 square kilometres electorate centred on the city of Bendigo west of the Yungera railway line, and including surrounding rural tow ...

Electoral district of Borung

The electoral district of Borung was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Assembly in the Australian colony of Victoria, which existed in two incarnations, from 1889 to 1927, and then from 1945 to 1955. Borung was created in 1889 as a singl ...

Electoral district of East Melbourne

East Melbourne was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1859 to 1927. It was defined in the 1858 electoral act as: Initially, the district was created with two members, it was reduced to one m ...

J. T. Fitch & Son

John Thomas Fitch 1825 – 15 May 1902 was born in Leigh, Essex or Gravesend, and served his apprenticeship with the Leicester Square drapery firm of Stagg & Mantle. a son of Elizabeth Pinder Fitch c. 1801 – 28 May 1869 in Adelaide. He arrived in S ...

Electoral district of Glenelg (Victoria)

Glenelg was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria based in far south-western Victoria from 1904 to 1927. It was created after the electoral district of Normanby was repealed by the act, the Victoria ...

Electoral district of Grenville

Grenville was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1859 to 1927. It was located in western Victoria, south of Ballarat.

Electoral district of Kara Kara

Kara was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1877 to 1927 and 1955 to 1976. It was based in north-western Victoria and included the subdivisions of Donald, Charlton, Minyip, Murtoa, St. Arnau ...

Electoral district of Korong

The Electoral district of Korong was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. It was created by the electoral law, the Law On the amendment of 1888 and its area was defined as: "begins at the intersec ...

Electoral district of North Melbourne

North Melbourne was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1859 to 1927. For the electoral district of North Melbourne was defined as being bound Victoria street / parade to the South, Nicholson ...

Electoral district of Ovens

Ovens was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1856 to 1927. It was based in northern Victoria, bordered by the Ovens River in the south-west and included the town of Beechworth, Victoria. In ...

Electoral district of Port Fairy

Port Fairy was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1889 to 1927. It was created when the Electoral district of Belfast was renamed. Bryan OLoghlen was the last member for Belfast, serving 188 ...

Electoral district of Wangaratta

The Electoral district of Wangaratta was an electoral district of the Victorian Legislative Assembly. It was created in the redistribution of 1904, the Electoral district of Wangaratta and Rutherglen being abolished. In the district of Wangaratta ...

Mannings Folly

Mannings Folly was erected in 1858 as a private home for Charles A. Manning in Fremantle, Western Australia. Charles manning, informed trader, was Chairman of the Fremantle town trust 1859-1867, and he lived in the building until he died in 1869. ...

Jessie, South Australia

Jessie was a town in the Australian state of South Australia whose site is located about 311 kilometres south-east of the state capital of Adelaide and about 20 kilometres east of the former municipal seat of Naracoorte at the border with the sta ...

Shire of Adavale

The Shire of Adavale is a former local government area in the south-east of Queensland, Australia, centred on the town of Adavale. It existed from 1879 to 1930.

Town of Clermont

The Borough of Clermont was established in January 1867. On 31 March 1903 under the local authorities act 1902, in the town of Clermont was the Clermont. In 1930, in Clermont became part of the County of Belyando, which once surrounded the city.

Shire of Ravenswood

Ravenswood Division was created on 11 November 1879 as one of 74 divisions around Queensland under the Divisional Boards Act 1879 with a population of 1412. 18 Jan 1882 subdivision was abolished, which means that all Board members will be elected ...

Town of Blackall

The Town of Blackall was a local government area located in central Queensland, for the purposes of governing the town of Blackall. It exists from 1880 to 1931.

Electoral district of Balonne

Balonne was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Queensland from 1873 to 1932, and again from 1950 to 1992. It was named after the Balonne River. Balonne were generally concentrated in inland rural cities o ...

Electoral district of Burke

Burke was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Queensland from 1873 to 1932, and again from 1960 to 1972. It covered remote rural areas in Northwest Queensland. Initially, it existed as a single-member dist ...

Shire of Chillagoe

On 16 December 1908, a small part of Shire of Woothakata was transferred to the Shire of Walsh, which was then split with one part being proclaimed the new Shire of Chillagoe, based at Chillagoe. 25 Jun 1932, Shires of chillagoe and Walsh were Un ...

Town of Cooktown

On 3 April 1876, Cooktown was established as a separate municipality, the Borough of Cooktown. On 11 November 1879, Daintree was established as a local government, for coastal land around Cooktown. On 31 March 1903. with the adoption of the law O ...

District Council of Gilbert

The District Council of Gilbert was proclaimed on 5 July 1866. The inaugural councillors were Frederick Fleming, James Milne, James Kelly, James Shearer, and Edward Prescott. On may 12, 1932, by the adoption of the local government areas of the r ...

Travelling post office, Queensland

A Travelling Post Office is a postal receiving, sorting and delivery service situated on a train, usually in a specially designated carriage that is part of a passenger train. In Queensland, Australia, the service was provided from 1877 to 1932.

Shire of Walsh

The Woothakata Division, based in the mining town of Thornborough on the Hodginson goldfield, was created on 11 November 1879 as one of 74 divisions around Queensland under the Divisional Boards Act 1879. May 15, 1889, the tin-mining area for tin ...

District Council of Nairne

The council was proclaimed on 1 September 1865 and included the entirety of the hundreds of Kanmantoo and Monarto. The inaugural council members were William Bower Dawes, William Giles junior, John Hillman, John Tallant Bee and Henry Appleton. 5 ...

Melbourne South Province

Melbourne South Province was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Council. It was created in June 1904 when Melbourne Province was reduced in size and North Yarra Province and South Yarra Province were abolished. The new Melbourne South, Me ...

Electoral district of Burra Burra

Burra was an electoral district of the House of Assembly in the Australian state of South Australia from 1902 to 1938. After a redistribution of boundaries in 1902, Burra constituency was abolished and created a new district of Burra Burra. In th ...

Electoral district of Wooroora

Wooroora was an electoral district of the House of Assembly in the Australian colony of South Australia. The electorate was created in the electoral districts act in 1872, the South Australian Parliament, but it was not until the provincial elect ...

Trams in Rockhampton

Rockhampton Council Tramways was a steam tram service which was operated by Rockhampton City Council from 1909 until 1939 in the Central Queensland city of Rockhampton, the only regional city in Queensland to have had a tram service. The line has ...

Melbourne East Province

Melbourne East Province was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Council. It was created in June 1904 when Melbourne province was reduced in size to four members to two, the Northern province of South Yarra province was abolished. Then a ne ...

Nelson Province (Australia)

Nelson Province was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Council. It was created in the wide-scale redistribution of Provinces 1882 when Central and Eastern Provinces were abolished and ten new Provinces were created. Its area included Camp ...

Wellington Province (Victoria)

Wellington Province was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Council, the upper house of the Victorian Parliament. The province of Wellington was created in the redistribution of provinces in 1882, in accordance with which the Central and E ...

Electoral district of Flemington

Flemington was an electoral district of the Victorian Legislative Assembly. It was created in 1904 with the abolition of Essendon and Flemington. The new seat was won by the former Labor member for the abolished seat, Edward Warde. Flemington was ...

Fremantle submarine base

Knowledge of its existence was very carefully guarded as a wartime secret. However, in August 1945, newspaper reports openly acknowledged the impact of the forces activity.

Electoral district of Korong and Eaglehawk

Electoral district of Korong and Eaglehawk was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria. Korong and Iglhaut was created when the areas of Korong and Iglhaut was liquidated in 1927. Korong and Iglhaut w ...

Melbourne Observatory

Melbourne Observatory was founded in 1862 to serve as a scientific research institution for the rapidly growing city of Melbourne, the capital of the colony of Victoria. The observatory was tasked by the Victorian government with maintaining an a ...

Electoral district of Stawell and Ararat

The Electoral district of Stawell and Ararat was an electoral district of the Victorian Legislative Assembly. It was created from the Electoral district of Stawell and Electoral district of Ararat which were abolished in 1904.

Electoral district of Upper Goulburn

Upper Goulburn was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1904 to 1945. It was based in northern Victoria. Upper Goulburn was created in 1904 after the abolition of Electoral district of Delatit ...

Electoral district of Wangaratta and Ovens

Wangaratta and Ovens was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of Victoria from 1927 to 1945. It was located around the town of Wangaratta. It was created after the Electoral district of Ovens and Electoral dis ...