ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 397

County of the City of Coventry

The County of the City of Coventry was a former county corporate of England which existed between 1451 and 1842. District of the corporate area of Warwickshire is about 20 square miles 52 km 2 and contains the city of Coventry and the surrounding ...

Mitre Bridge Exchange railway station

Mitre Bridge Exchange was a railway station in Old Oak Common in the parish of Hammersmith, Middlesex, England, which was opened on 27 May 1844 but closed on 1 December 1844. It was formed of high-level and low-level platforms. The two low-level ...

Wylds Great Globe

Wylds Great Globe was an attraction situated in Londons Leicester Square between 1851 and 1862, constructed by James Wyld, a distinguished mapmaker and former Member of Parliament for Bodmin. In the center of a specially built hall was a giant gl ...

Hampstead Heathens F.C.

Hampstead Heathens F.C. was an English football club, based in Hampstead, London. The club competed in the first ever FA Cup in 1871 and were involved in the first ever competitive replay in association football.

Hullshire

Hullshire, or the County of Hull, was a county of England from 1440 to 1889. Hullshire may refer to the area outside the town of Kingston upon Hull within the county, whilst the entire entity was sometimes referred to as the "Town and County of H ...

St Marys Church, Manchester

St Marys Church was an Anglican parish church in Manchester, England. The growing population of Manchester, caused by the advent of the industrial revolution, led to the establishment of several new churches in the 18th century, among which St. M ...

Royal Liberty of Havering

Havering, also known as Havering-atte-Bower, was a royal manor and ancient liberty whose former area now forms part of, and gives its name to, the London Borough of Havering in Greater London. The manor was in the possession of the Crown from the ...

Butterworth (ancient township)

Butterworth was a township occupying the southeastern part of the parish of Rochdale, in the hundred of Salford, Lancashire, England. It encompassed 12.1 square miles of land in the South Pennines which spanned the settlements of Belfield, Bleake ...

Pilkington (ancient township)

The Pilkington family can be traced from about 1200. The senior line acquired the manor of Bury when Roger Pilkington who died in about 1347, married Alice Bury. Roger Pilkington and his father, also Roger, were present with Thomas, 2nd Earl of L ...

St Peter, Hertfordshire

St Peter was an ancient parish in Hertfordshire, England that was abolished for civil purposes in 1894. It was also known as St Albans St Peter. The parish church was St Peters Church in St Albans. The part of the parish was in the ancient town o ...

York Rural Sanitary District

York was a rural sanitary district in Yorkshire, England, until 1894. It was based on the York poor law union, and included parishes in the West Riding, the North Riding and the East Riding, forming a ring around the city. It was abolished in 189 ...

Burnley Barracks

Burnley Barracks was a military installation at Burnley in Lancashire, England. Built for cavalry, but later used for infantry and storage, military activities at the barracks declined in the late 19th century.

Football League test matches

Football League test matches were a series of post-season football play-off matches organised by the Football League, to determine the membership of the worst finishers of the First Division and the best of the Second Division. They were first co ...

Strand District (Metropolis)

Strand was a local government district within the metropolitan area of London, England, from 1855 to 1900. Until 1889, the area was in middlesex, but included in the area of Board construction MDM Metropolitan. In 1889 in the heart of MDM has bee ...

Stockton and Darlington Steam Tramway Company

The Stockton and Darlington Steam Tramways Company operated two separate tramway concerns in the North East of England. The first was a horse-drawn tramway service in Darlington from 1880 to 1904, and the second was a steam tramway in Stockton-on ...

Lincoln Tramways Company

The tramway company was established in 1880 with share capital of £20.000. The company had ambitions for a substantial network of lines, but in the event, the only line constructed was from Bracebridge to St. Benedicts Square, along Newark Road a ...

Harrow and Uxbridge Railway

The Harrow and Uxbridge Railway Company was a British railway company. It was established in 1897 under the auspices of the Harrow and Uxbridge Railway Act 1897. In 1904 he opened what is now the Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan lines linking ...

Fielding Johnson Building

The Fielding Johnson Building is the main administrative building for the University of Leicester, Leicester, England. It is a Grade II listed building.

Allahakbarries

Allahakbarries was an amateur cricket team founded by author J. M. Barrie, and was active from 1890 to 1913. The team was named by Barrie, both after himself and in the mistaken belief that Allah akbar meant Heaven help us in Arabic. Notable figu ...

Cambridge Street Tramways

When railways reached Cambridge in the 1840s, the main station was built around 1 mile 1.6 km from the city centre, as a result of sustained opposition from the University authorities. A means was therefore necessary to transport passengers from ...

Baron Muncaster

Baron Muncaster was a title in the Peerage of Ireland and in the Peerage of the United Kingdom held by the Pennington family. This family, of Muncaster Castle in Cumberland, descended from William Pennington, who was created a Baronet, of Muncast ...

Endell Street Military Hospital

Endell Street Military Hospital was a First World War military hospital located on Endell Street in Covent Garden, central London. This was the only hospital entirely staffed by suffragists. The hospital was established during the First world war ...

Pocock baronets

The Pocock Baronetcy, of Hart in the County Palatine of Durham and of Twickenham in the County of Middlesex, was a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 18 August 1821 for George Pocock, Member of Parliament for Bridgwa ...

Taunton Tramway

The Taunton Tramway was an electric street tramway in Taunton, the county town of Somerset, England. It operated a fleet of six narrow gauge tramcars on a single route of 1.66 miles between 1901 and 1921 when the tramway closed due to a dispute o ...

St John the Baptists Church, East Ham

St John the Baptists Church, East Ham, was a Church of England church dedicated to St John the Baptist in East Ham, east London. It was built in 1866 as a chapel of ease to St Mary Magdalenes Church, then still the main parish church for the area ...

Darlington Corporation Light Railways

Darlington was the first municipality to take advantage of the Light Railways Act 1896. Its tramways were authorised by this act. In preparation for the new tramway, the corporation opened a new power station in the town in December 1900. The Cor ...

Gravesend and Northfleet Electric Tramways

In 1901 the Gravesend, Rosherville and Northfleet Tramways were taken over by the Gravesend and Northfleet Electric Tramways, a subsidiary of British Electric Traction. The tramway was converted from 3 ft 6in gauge to standard gauge and electrifi ...

Lincoln Corporation Tramways

The tramway replaced the horse tram service previously provided by the Lincoln Tramways Company. The assets of this company were purchased by the Lincoln Corporation in July 1904 for the sum of £10.488 equivalent to £1.138.300 in 2019. It was a s ...

St Johns Church, Manchester

St Johns Church, Manchester, also known as St Johns, Deansgate, was an Anglican parish church in Manchester, England, established in 1769 and demolished in 1931. Its site is now that of St Johns Gardens, situated between Lower Byrom Street, Byrom ...

Butterworth & Dickinson

Butterworth and Dickinson were textile machinery manufacturers in Burnley, Lancashire, England. Known as Butts and Dicks the company made looms that were exported around the world.

Palling Volunteer Rescue Service

Palling Volunteer Rescue Service is an independent, voluntary-manned and charitably-funded inshore rescue service located in the village of Sea Palling in North Norfolk, England. First established by private funds in 1840, it was taken over by th ...

Farnborough Rural District

Farnborough was a rural district in Warwickshire, England from 1894 to 1932. It was formed from that part of the Banbury rural sanitary district which was in Warwickshire. It contains the parishes of Avon Dassett, Farnborough, Radway, Ratley and ...

Rownham Ferry

The Rownham Ferry was a boat service across the River Avon in Bristol, England. It began operations by the twelfth century and ceased in 1932 after the construction of bridges across the river.

Dartford Urban District

Dartford Urban District was a local authority in Kent, England. It was appointed in 1894 to provide local government to Dartford town and its immediate environs including, from 1925, Dartford Heath. It replaced the Dartford Local Board, and had f ...

Bodmin Rural District

Bodmin Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934 to create Wadebridge Rural District as well as enla ...

Calstock Rural District

Calstock Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934, enlarging St Germans Rural District. During its ...

East Kerrier Rural District

East Kerrier Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934 to create Kerrier Rural District, as well as ...

Helston Rural District

Helston Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934 to create Camborne–Redruth Urban District and Kerr ...

Northampton Corporation Tramways

Northampton Corporation Tramways operated an electric tramway service in Northampton between 1904 and 1934. The tramway opened in July 1904, replacing the horse tram previously provided by the Northampton street tramways company. The horse tram h ...

Redruth Rural District

Redruth Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934 to create Camborne–Redruth Urban District and Kerr ...

St Columb Major Rural District

St Columb Major Rural District was a local government division of Cornwall in England, UK, between 1894 and 1934. Established under the Local Government Act 1894, the rural district was abolished in 1934, enlarging Newquay Urban District, Padstow ...

Winchcombe Rural District

Winchcombe was, from 1894 to 1935, a rural district in the Cotswolds area of England. It included parts of two administrative counties: Gloucestershire and Worcestershire.

Waterloo with Seaforth Urban District

Waterloo with Seaforth was an Urban District in the administrative county of Lancashire until 1937 when it was annexed to the municipal borough of Crosby, Merseyside. It included the settlements of Seaforth and Waterloo.

Worthing Tramocars

The Worthing Tramocars formed part of the public transport network in Worthing, a seaside resort in West Sussex, England, during the 1920s and 1930s. The vehicles were converted dustbin lorries manufactured by Shelvoke and Drewry and adapted for ...

Colwall Park Racecourse

Colwall Park Racecourse was a British horse racing venue which operated from 1900 to 1939. It was known as one of England’s prettiest racecourses. This course was developed by a journalist and fan of the national hunt, Frederick page, as a Lefty, ...

Group Theatre (London)

The Group Theatre was an experimental theatre company founded in 1932 by Rupert Doone and Robert Medley. It evolved from a play-reading group in Cambridge that Doone had been involved with during his years studying with the Festival Theatre there ...

RAF Harwell

Royal Air Force station Harwell or more simply RAF Harwell is a former Royal Air Force station, near the village of Harwell, located 4.8 miles south east of Wantage, Oxfordshire and 17 miles north west of Reading, Berkshire, England. The site is ...

RAF Charmy Down

Royal Air Force Charmy Down or RAF Charmy Down is a former Royal Air Force station in Somerset, England. The airfield is located approximately 3 miles north-northeast of Bath, about 96 miles west of London Opened in 1941, it was originally used i ...

RAF Downham Market

RAF Downham Market was a Royal Air Force station in the west of the county of Norfolk in the United Kingdom which operated during the second half of the Second World War.

RAF Ossington

During the Second World War a large RAF airfield was constructed on land close to the Ossington estate, known as RAF Station Ossington. It was opened on Sun 18 Jan 1942 at number 14, the pilot of flight No. 14 p. APU) and transferred to the branc ...