ⓘ Ambrosini S.1001

                                     

ⓘ Ambrosini S.1001

The Ambrosini S.1001 Grifo was an Italian light airplane that appeared shortly after the end of World War II. The first plane built by SAI Ambrosini postwar, the prototype flew in 1947 and was derived from the pre-war SAI.2S. It was a four-seat monoplane with spatted fixed undercarriage. A small series was produced for the Italian aeroclubs with an Alfa Romeo 110-ter engine of 97 kW. Three examples were even bought by the Italian Aeronautica Militare, which used them between 1948 and 1950.

From 28-29 April 1948, Leonardo Bonzi and maner Lualdi established a distance record for aircraft in this class, flying from Campo Formio, Italy to Massawa, Eritrea - 4.650 km 2.890 Mi without stopping. On January 10, 1949, on Board the same aircraft, now christened Angelo dei girls, they went to the "Dakar" in South America. Once to overcome the resistance of the French authorities, they did not Joff on January 29, 1949, dispensing with radio and parachutes to be able to load 800 litres, 176 IMP Gal, 211 gallons of fuel. Seventeen hours later, they were in Parnaiba, Brazil. By the end of a triumphant tour of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina, they collected 500 million lire from the Italian community living in these countries to promote economic restart Italy. Their plane-Assi is kept today in the Museum of Alfa Romeo in Milan-Arese.

Was a two-seater variant powered by a De Havilland Gipsy major 120 kW 160 HP suggested AMI as a coach. AMI was not interested, but there were several aircraft, built in the S. 1002 Trasimeno the flying clubs.