ⓘ Armstrong Whitworth Wolf

                                     

ⓘ Armstrong Whitworth Wolf

The Wolf was a two-bay biplane of unorthodox design, with the fuselage mounted between the two sets of wings. No production order was placed, and the three machines built served their days at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough as experimental testbeds.

However, the RAF in 1923, Armstrong Whitworth also built two for flying school RAF reserve in Whitley, and a final, sixth aircraft in 1929. As trainers, they proved popular with pilots, although to a lesser extent, with ground crews, to which the standing rigging and running was cumbersome to maintain.

All the wolves were withdrawn from service in 1931 and all but recently been retired. The final aircraft was delivered to hamble for use as a training glider.