In law, an alien is a person who is not a citizen or national of a given country, though definitions and terminology differ to some degree depending on the continent or region of the world. The term "alien" is synonymous to "foreign national".
In customary international law, an enemy alien is any native, citizen, denizen or subject of any foreign nation or government with which a domestic nation or government is in conflict and who are liable to be apprehended, restrained, secured and removed. Usually, but not always, the countries are in a state of declared war.
Nationality is a legal relationship between an individual person and a state. Nationality affords the state jurisdiction over the person and affords the person the protection of the state. What these rights and duties are varies from state to state. This relationship generally enables intervention by a State to provide help and protection to its nationals when they are harmed by other States. By custom and international conventions, it is the right of each state to determine who its nationals are. Such determinations are part of nationality law. In some cases, determinations of nationality ...
A poor person is a legal status in many states in the United States that allows an individual to take action in certain legal matters, such as filing a lawsuit, without paying fees to the court. A person must petition the court for a Poor Person Order that allows them to avoid these fees. It is known formally as in forma pauperis.
ⓘ People by legal status
- The legal status of Hawaii - as opposed to its political status - is a settled legal matter as it pertains to United States law, but there has been scholarly
- A status offense is an action that is prohibited only to a certain class of people and most often applied only to offenses committed by minors. In the
- government This controversy also concerns whether the existence and legal status as a sovereign state of both the ROC and the PRC is legitimate as a matter
- The legal status of striptease varies considerably among different countries and the various jurisdictions of the United States. Striptease is considered
- The status of territories captured by Israel refers to the status of the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, the Golan Heights and the Sinai Peninsula, captured
- and access to its holy sites. The main dispute revolves around the legal status of East Jerusalem and especially the Old City of Jerusalem, while broader
- Legal tender is a medium of payment recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation. Each jurisdiction determines what is
- Belonger status is a legal classification normally associated with British Overseas Territories. It refers to people who have close ties to a specific
- status describes a person s legal status The individual could be a Roman citizen status civitatis unlike foreigners or he could be free status libertatis