ⓘ Bermondsey Town Hall

                                     

ⓘ Bermondsey Town Hall

The building was commissioned to extend a 19th-century vestry hall on the site which had been designed by George Elkington in the Italianate style. It had become the headquarters of the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey in 1900. The vestry hall was badly damaged in the Blitz during the Second World War and was subsequently demolished.

The foundation stone for the new building was laid on 20 October 1928. It was designed by Henry Tansley in the Greek Revival style and completed in 1930. The pediment above the entrance bears the coat of arms of Bermondsey. The building took over the role of headquarters of the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey during the Second World War but ceased to be the local seat of government when the enlarged London Borough of Southwark was formed in 1965.

The building was sold to a developer in December 2012 and works to convert the building into apartments were completed in 2014.